Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rome Sweet Rome..almost home sweet home!!!

Bonjourno,

As I write this blog, I am sitting on my bed in the middle of almost packed luggage. We have been cruising on the Queen Mary for six days and will be greeting the Statue of Liberty early tomorrow morning. What an adventure this has been. I think I got behind on my blogs in the last few weeks so today before I get off the ship. my goal is to finish with our last tour...to Rome.

Ken and I took two different tours...he visited the highlights of Rome and I went to the Sistine Chapel. We did see some of the same landmarks though. Our dock was in Civitavecchia, which is two hours from Rome. The buses actually are pretty modern and with the tour guide's commentary on the city it makes the time go quickly. The first thing I noticed about Italy was the green...it was Spring and the rolling hills dotted with purple crepe myrtle trees was such a delightful view out our window. Along with our guide's wonderful Italian accent, I felt like this was the frosting on the fabulous cake we have been enjoying this journey!!

Our tour took us first to a very popular fountain called The Trivia Fountain. It is tradition to make a wish here while throwing a coin over your shoulder into the fountain. The fountain is surrounding by magnificent sculptures. On the way to the fountain we saw two women with a baby stroller...it was kinda weird because I saw one of the ladies using a cardboard to block the baby or something....the next thing, she grabbed into the pocket of one of the elder men's pocket...he knocked the cardboard and her down. We were warmed..beware of gypsies. It has been amazingly sad how people use children to help with their begging and crimes. Fortunately this was the only episode that we knew but after that I turned my backpack into a frontpack!!

Next we took a journey back to the days of the Gladiators with a visit to the incredible Coliseum. It is Rome's finest amphitheatre commissioned by Emperor Vespasian in 72AD. This immense sculpture once held up to 55,000 people. Subterranean passageways lead to holding chambers for competitors, animals and equipment and the 76 entrances to allow the access for the eager crowds.

From here we walked to the Vatican Museum which houses one of the most impressive collections in the world. The artwork is unbelievable...you hear about it all but until you are in front of it...you just can not believe it...I still can't!!! Michelangelo..what a guy!!!

Our last stop was the magnificent St. Peter's Basilica which took over 100 years to build. It sits on over 800 pillars and is adorned with 44 altars....that is a BIG church!!! It is by far the largest church in the world. We saw where the Pope stands to give his speeches and all that good stuff. They have Wed. morning service when he is in town...I guess he didn't know we were coming because he wasn't there.

The history of this city is ancient It is the capital city of Italy and Lazio, and is Italy's largest and most populous city. It's history as a city spans over two and a half thousand years, as one of the founding cities of Western Civilization. It would take alot more time than we had to really see the sites yet I feel we got a very good feel of the history of the place.

So, the tours have ended...I just got back from a wine tasting, on our way to the "passenger" talent show. I was hoping Ken would play his digiredo but he said he is not prepared...possibly on a spaghetti Sunday he'll play for us. Afterwards we are going to the planetarium, dinner and our last show. When we wake up at 4:45 we are going up to the bow to see us go under the Barisono Bridge (3 meter clearance) and the Statue of Liberty as we arrive in our home sweet homeland.

I'll write once we get settled in Maine and finish the trip. Chris is picking us up in New York tomorrow where we'll stay a few days and then drive up through Boston to the Maclin's place which they so generously are letting us stay until Chris graduates. Our flight home will be on Mother's Day...how apropos....

Arriveiderci,

janet and Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment